b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] NIV v' NWT translation policy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Robert Newman <rob AT designceramics.co.uk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] NIV v' NWT translation policy
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 00:38:29 +0000

On 17/11/2005 23:58, Robert Newman wrote:

Peter to Rolf
Well, why did the NWT translators always render nephesh and `olam for example with the same English word, when these Hebrew words have a wide range of meaning?

If I may inteject, this is not correct, NWT uses one word for each concept AS FAR AS THE CONTEXT PERMITS. Olam is NOT always translated "time/s indefinite". ...

Well, thank you for the correction, but Rolf must have misled us because I am almost certain that he said that these renderings are entirely consistent (one word for each word, NOT one word for each concept!) regardless of the context.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)