b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Deuteronomy 20:19 )DM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Deuteronomy 20:19 )DM
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:20:38 -0700

On Tuesday 15 November 2005 21:14, Karl Randolph wrote:
[snip]
> Are there any variant readings, possibly in the DSS,
> for this verse? It looks as if the reading may have been
> KY H)D M(C but I'm guessing.

Only one fragment seems to have it, and there do not appear to be any
variants. The scroll is 4Q(k2) a.k.a. 4Q38a, and it's found in DJD 14, p.
101-102 if anybody wants to double-check.

> The basic idea is that fruit trees are not to be cut to make
> siege weapons, but I don't see how H)DM as a noun fits
> in there.

Actually, from what I've read the "basic idea" is that trees are not the
enemy; they're not men that you need to make war or bring siege engines
against them, so cutting them down is pointless, maybe even
counter-productive.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur