b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Midwives & Hyksos

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <tladatsi AT charter.net>
  • To: <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Midwives & Hyksos
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:10:54 -0500

Harold,

The relation between the Hyksos, Isrealites, and Egyptians
has of course been one of interest to many writers, myself
included. However, I dont think we can find relavent
information on this relationship in this particular story.

You are correct that as the rulers of Egypt, the Hyksos
would have been perceived in some way as being *Egyptian*,
particularly to outsiders. However, the thrust of the
story goes the other direction. The *Egyptians* and their
king, fear the Isrealites as possible allies of outside
invaders. This is an unlikely attitude for the Hyksos
rulers of Egypt who were themselves outside invaders and
would have viewed the Israelites as *natural* allies
against the sullen, resentfull, conquered Egyptians.

It is an appropriate attitude for much later Egyptian
rulers however. After the conquest of Judea by Babylon,
many Judeans fled to Egypt. There they found work as
solders for the Egyptian kings. When the Medes and
Persians overthrew the Babylonians and showed favor to the
Judeans, the Egyptian king might legitimately have been
concerned that his solders might support a Persian invasion
of Egypt.

Jack Tladatsi