b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Midwives & the Egyptians Fears

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Midwives & the Egyptians Fears
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:17:27 -0500

Jack:

You mention exactly some reasons that I considered
when I came to the conclusion that the Pharaoh of the
Exodus was Hyksos. This was even before I learned of the
archeological research that showed that the Hyksos also
oppressed resident "Asiatics" who preceded the Hyksos
as residents of the Nile Delta region, i.e. "Goshen".

If the midwives were Hyksos, that would explain their
Semitic sounding names. You make good points in your
reasoning as to why they were not Hebrew.

I think it needs to be kept in mind that just because
Exodus calls them "Egyptian", that does not mean that
they were ethnically Egyptian, no more than the Manchus
were Chinese: they were called "Egyptian" because they
ruled Egypt at that time.

Just because the story may have been historical, that
does not rule out the literary use of history, focussing on
those aspects that the author wants the audience to learn
from the story. After all, the story was not an exhaustive
recital of every detail, rather it hits on those details that
support the author's central theme.

Karl W. Randolph.