b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Midwives & Hyksos

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Midwives & Hyksos
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 01:32:54 -0500

Jack:

Looking at Exodus 1:8 we find that there is a new king
who did not know Joseph. He said unto his people
(notice, not necessarily Egyptian) Notice that the people,
Israel, is more numerous and powerful than we are (right
off the start, which would fit the Hyksos, a people who
were outnumbered by the peoples that they enslaved).
Then when the comment about war (not necessarily
against foreign invaders) the fear was that Israel would
join to the king's many haters (which included Egyptians).
The fear was also that Israel would ascend from the land
(which would make them invaders into the Hyksos
homeland which, as I understand it, was in Canaan).

Taking Israel's position in the context of Joseph, we find
that they had a privileged position under the Egyptian
pharaohs. After the famine when all the Egyptian property
was concentrated in pharaoh's hands, thanks to Joseph,
Joseph's family was appointed caretakers of pharaoh's
livestock. This was a job the Egyptians did not want, and
were all to happy to unload to a foreign people, especially
one that was beholden to pharaoh. In other words, Israel
had a special charter under pharaoh, they were privileged
therefore had a vested interest in the maintenance of the
status quo. That automatically put them under suspicion
when the Hyksos invaded and opposed those who had
appointed Israel to their position.

The difference was that Israel was invited in and were
given a special position under pharaoh, while the Hyksos
were conquering invaders. Not a good starting point for
them to be allies.

Karl W. Randolph.