b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Midwives & Hyksos

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <tladatsi AT charter.net>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Midwives & Hyksos
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:26:17 -0500

Some might take it that way, but not me. I believe the
pentateuch was composed long before that era. My point is
that the political sensibilities expressed were not
consistent with Hyksos rule but with other eras, the
Persian being only one. Indeed an post-Hyksos Ruler might
have simlar attitude. It was an attitude that the writer
and reader/listener would understand.

> From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
> Date: 2005/11/11 Fri PM 02:51:54 EST
> To: tladatsi AT charter.net
> CC: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Midwives & Hyksos
>
> On 11/11/2005 19:10, tladatsi AT charter.net wrote:

> >It is an appropriate attitude for much later Egyptian
> >rulers however. After the conquest of Judea by Babylon,
> >many Judeans fled to Egypt. There they found work as
> >solders for the Egyptian kings. When the Medes and
> >Persians overthrew the Babylonians and showed favor to
the
> >Judeans, the Egyptian king might legitimately have been
> >concerned that his solders might support a Persian
invasion
> >of Egypt.
> >

> ... which in fact took place in 525 BCE, so only 14 years
after the
> conquest of Babylonia. Do I detect a suggestion that the
book of Exodus
> is a work of fiction composed during this brief period?
If not, what is
> the relevance of this?
>

> --
> Peter Kirk