b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Leviral marriage

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Rea <bsr15 AT cantsl.it.canterbury.ac.nz>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Leviral marriage
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:29:31 +1300 (NZDT)

George wrote:-

>2 Samuel 12.8 (ESV) - Yahweh's words to David through Nathan:
>
>And I gave you your master's house and your master's wives into your
>arms and gave you the house of Israel and of Judah. And if this were too
>little, I would add to you as much more.
>
>This suggests that Yahweh, at least in the Hebrew Bible, is not opposed
>to polygamy. He may not like it, but he certainly permits it.

If we read it as written the giving of Saul's wives to David by YHWH is a
sign of YHWH's favour. While others have also posted saying we should read
this as YHWH not opposing, or just allowing, David to take Saul's wives
after Saul's death, I don't think you can get this from the text itself.
In fact, such a reading contradicts what the text tells us.

Peter wrote:-

>Does this verse actually mean that Saul's wives became David's wives? If
>so, there is no other reference to such marriages

What more evidence do you require? The words of Nathan have a clear
meaning. Why should we doubt him?

I have noticed that some translators go weak at the knees with this
verse. I'll only cite one, the NASB:-

8.`I also gave you your master's house and your master's wives into
your care,

Hmmm, care? How polite!

Bill Rea, IT Services, University of Canterbury \_
E-Mail bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz </ New
Phone 64-3-364-2331, Fax 64-3-364-2332 /) Zealand
Unix Systems Administrator (/'