b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Leviral marriage

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>, "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Leviral marriage
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:02:46 +0100

There seem to be two wedding ceremonies in the torah.

1)Adam & Eve
2)Isaac & Rebekah

Adam & Eve's wedding ceremony consists of God saying 'Wake up Adam. I've
made you a woman. Have fun.'

Isaac & Rebekah's wedding consists of Isaac taking her into his Mum's tent
and 'loving' her.

All modern day formal ceremonies seem to be an attempt to formalise these
events and for the most part take their customs from extra-biblical religions
and/or cultures.