b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] phonetic writing, was Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] phonetic writing, was Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:35:07 +0100

On 25/10/2005 15:15, Karl Randolph wrote:

Peter:

Even if assuming that Randall Buth is correct on Greek pronunciation, the pronunciations preserved in the LXX, New Testament (genealogies in Matthew and Luke, as well as transliterated names), Josephus and possibly others, not only disagree with each other, but all of them with the Masoretes. The New Testament, particularly in the Byzantine tradition, even shows regional differences in its transliterations. Did you not see the chart that Dr. Hoffman provided for us? I found it interesting.

Joel Hoffman's interesting chart of a rather small number of names was inadequate to show any clear patterns of relationship between the LXX and MT forms of these names. Considerably more names would be needed to show that there are patterns rather than chaos and randomness. The different forms found in other Greek authorities tend to increase the apparent chaos and randomness - although I am not saying that no patterns would emerge from a long and detailed study. This is irrespective of how much weight we give to Dr Buth's conclusions.

The New Testament does indeed show variations in Greek spelling between different MSS. I guess the same is true of the LXX. As far as I know it has not been demonstrated that these are regional variations rather than diachronic change with time. And I don't see how these differences can be related to Hebrew.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)