b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] phonetic writing, was Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] phonetic writing, was Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:27:35 -0500

Kevin:

No, I haven't read all the data, but I have read the articles
by Buth and others that were linked to on line here, and I
have found that by their own admission, the data are
weaker than what the authors claim. They admitted that
most of the data are from non-native speakers of Greek,
and much of the rest is dialectal. How much of both ended
up in Athens and Corinth, major trading cities that
included non-native populations of traders and slaves?

In such circumstances, it is better to agree to disagree
because the evidence is not there to beat each other over
the head.

As for Biblical Hebrew pronunciation, about the only thing
we can say with certainty is that the Masoretic points do
not preserve it. The rest is in the air. Further, the points
reflect a thousand year development of pronunciation
tradition by non-native speakers of Hebrew. The evidence
that some of the letters had multiple pronunciations is
based on certain presuppositions that can be proven by
neither history nor linguistics. Likewise my theory has
some evidence, but not enough to prove to the other side.
I have been careful to say that this is my theory, and give
my reasons for it, but never to denounce others as being
wrong (unless my theory is proven correct). This is where
I have come to disagree with my teachers. But I will
continue to insist that the emperor has no clothes, that
presuppositions and theoretical constructs do not
represent data.

In such circumstances, it is better to agree to disagree
because the evidence is not there to beat each other over
the head.

Karl W. Randolph.