b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] phonetic writing, was Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Kevin Riley <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] phonetic writing, was Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:26:53 +0100

On 25/10/2005 01:19, Kevin Riley wrote:

I know that this is a suggestion many on this list will see as heresy, but
could I suggest that, rather than relying on the internet for articles that
are of widely varying accuracy, anyone who is interested in this subject
actually read some of the classic books where all the evidence is set out
for everyone to comprehend and argue with. There seems to be a virus
infecting so many people interested in religion and religious writings that
makes them avoid like the plague anyone who has spent a lifetime actually
studying the subject in favour of 'unbiased' authorities like Wikipedia and
obscure internet sites. Just in case anyone wants to [probably in secret to
avoid public castigation] read these books, I will list some below to get
you started.

Kevin, I take your point. But in response I want to make three points:

1) Some of us are situated far from good libraries and simply don't have access to these kinds of classic books.

2) Sometimes the classic books are decades, even a century or more, out of date, whereas the latest scholarship can often be found on the Internet - although mixed up with all kinds of old or simply wrong ideas.

3) The articles I recommended on Greek were not chosen at random from unreliable parts of the Internet, even if the actual sites on which they are hosted are obscure. Randall Buth is a former member of this list and someone I personally trust to be a good scholar. The same for Carl Conrad who is a moderator of the b-greek list. And Chrys Caragounis is a respected New Testament scholar whose courses I once took - and you also recommend him.

Please note also that I have several times challenged others in this discussion to provide evidence concerning changes in Hebrew pronunciation, rather than to make assumptions. I would be very pleased to see evidence from such classic books.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)