b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: XRM - Semantic Domain

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: XRM - Semantic Domain
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 01:50:40 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>

On 22/10/2005 21:59, Yigal Levin wrote:

Dear Jack,

I like your metaphor. But I think that the core meaning of XRM is actually "set aside" (for the deity), which is also its meaning in Arabic. In this way, its core meaning is very similar to QD$. ...

Yigal, you may know more Arabic than I do, but from what I understand the meaning in Arabic is almost precisely opposite to QD$, much more like +M) and $QC.

--
Not quite, Peter. Think of the Arabic name for the Temple Mount: Haram esh-Sharif, the Noble Sanctuary. I don't know how haram came to mean forbidden food. Perhaps for just that reason: something that is "haram" is forbidden - originally for "secular" use, then, by expansion, for any use. Words often take on opposite meanings: the Muslim version of "kosher", i.e. "permitted food" is "halal", which in Hebrew is the opposite of QD$.

Yigal