b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Fw: Human Sacrifice - Semantic Domain

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Fw: Human Sacrifice - Semantic Domain
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 22:59:01 +0200

Dear Jack,

I like your metaphor. But I think that the core meaning of XRM is actually "set aside" (for the deity), which is also its meaning in Arabic. In this way, its core meaning is very similar to QD$. This is what Joshua did to the booty of Jericho. An expantion of XRM is to sacrifice for the deity, including killing the enemy (men, women and children) in a holy war, such as was done by Joshua or by Saul to the Amalekites. And thus, a city destroyed in a holy war is also XRM.

Yigal
----- Original Message ----- From: <tladatsi AT charter.net>