b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: Human Sacrifice - Semantic Domain

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: Human Sacrifice - Semantic Domain
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 00:38:40 +0100

On 22/10/2005 21:59, Yigal Levin wrote:

Dear Jack,

I like your metaphor. But I think that the core meaning of XRM is actually "set aside" (for the deity), which is also its meaning in Arabic. In this way, its core meaning is very similar to QD$. ...

Yigal, you may know more Arabic than I do, but from what I understand the meaning in Arabic is almost precisely opposite to QD$, much more like +M) and $QC.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)