b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] XRM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] XRM
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 18:57:15 -0700 (PDT)

The primary meaning of the root in Arabic seems to be 'forbidden' etc.,
and derived from this is 'holy', in the sense that something belongs, or is
devoted to the divine, and is either not for the use of ordinary humans;
or they can use it by making special preparation for it. Therefore, as
someone indicated before, there is a semantic similarity with the Hebrew QD&.
where the original meaning is 'separate'.

Both the Heb. and Moabite XRM fit into the above mentioned pattern.

Uri

."...Think of the Arabic name for the Temple Mount: Haram
esh-Sharif, the Noble Sanctuary. I don't know how haram came to mean
forbidden food. Perhaps for just that reason: something that is "haram" is
forbidden - originally for "secular" use, then, by expansion, for any use.
Words often take on opposite meanings: the Muslim version of "kosher", i.e.
"permitted food" is "halal", which in Hebrew is the opposite of QD$.

Yigal "

>From yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com Sun Oct 23 10:28:39 2005

h=received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references;

b=rU3UXjj+L1yvb7Kv6BfT+KWvce9UJygkYPA3TOoUtv1R4A15tNqPQXU95H2lvVMUaX+ID5ITpPLZvaE8UEYfmO2UGNDFcvOb28erRcnhFPZ3D/azvNj6+PENE1JWtl2sZcvv1thK2pWXmE0RqG6E9yAVuXWBwzfv9Pu0azcdxFo=