b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Human Sacrifice - 2 Sam 21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Human Sacrifice - 2 Sam 21
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 00:34:52 +0100

On 22/10/2005 16:43, Karl Randolph wrote:

Jack:

I think you are actually replying to me.

Not all uses of XRM in Hebrew deal with destruction. Not even always referring to that which is to be destroyed. For example, the gold, silver and bronze from Jericho were XRM in Joshua 6, to be brought to the temple treasury, not destroyed. ...

But in Muslim tradition something which is haram will never be brought into a holy place like a mosque, it is forbidden because it is disgusting and unclean. That is the huge difference from the gold etc brought into the temple treasury. Arabic haram is more like Hebrew טמא +M) t-m-' or שׁקץ $QC sh-q-ts, as in Leviticus 11:4,12.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)