b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Initial "Beged Kefet" consonants always have a...
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 00:09:42 +0100

On 19/10/2005 22:34, Karl Randolph wrote:

I may be wrong, but I suspect that modern Greek is far closer to Byzantine pronunciation than koiné. I date many of the pronunciation changes that led to modern Greek to the Byzantine period, in other words after the LXX and the New Testament with their transliterations were written.

Karl, thank you for your comments. I agree that there are all kinds of uncertainties in the evidence which Buth and many other scholars have collected, and as a result of that different scholars have come to different conclusions. What bothers me is the approach which you and several other list members seem to take to such questions, as in the paragraph above. A healthy scepticism about the evidence and arguments presented by recognised scholars is good. But what is not good is an assumption that our own intuition, based very often on no evidence at all and no coherent arguments, is better than the best which scholars can come up with. Well, at least you say "I may be wrong". I wish that you and others would always say the same when presenting unorthodox conclusions.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)