b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:6
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:52:43 -0400

Dear Vadim,

If you are reading a text other than the MT please inform us. Otherwise, we have to conclude that you are *not* reading the MT.

Example: Verse 7's `aphar, which at least you agree means dust, is not in the same clause as vayyippax as your below translation indicates. That is indeed your error regarding syntax.

We understand your shtick is that of the iconoclast, but is the MT really your target, too? Out of one side of your mouth you hold to the most reactionary of grammatical views of the wayyiqtol verb form (vav-converted tense). Out of the other side, you ignore plainly understood clause-boundaries.

I read the whole of your contribution to the list like so:
1. Throw away the lexicons.
2. Throw away the translations.
3. Throw away last thiry or forty years of literature.

and now
4. Throw away reading the MT.

Where do we start then? Your only nod is to Vadim.

I'll say this, though: the limitless energy you exhibit in this sort of "war of attrition" is impressive.

Shalom,
Bryan

Vadim Cherny wrote:
Lord God brought forward the man. Dust of the ground blew into his face. The man became a breath of life to a living soul.

Whatever you may think of it exegetically, it is based on such a total misunderstanding of Hebrew syntax that I will simply suggest that you go away and learn some elementary Hebrew rather than expect me to correct your obvious mistakes.

Peter, I have no idea why do you consider your knolwedge of Hebrew above elementary.

What does my translation have to do with syntax? It is a matter of punctuation. And I don't expect you to correct my mistakes - because there are none. True, with certain laxity toward punctuation many Hebrew phrases could be read alternatively, but in this case I feel justified in changing Masoretic punctuation.

--
B. M. Rocine
Living Word Chruch