b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 2:6
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 12:30:21 +0300

No it does not. 'ADAM is explicitly marked as the object in this verse with the marker 'ET.

Sure. But et refers to another phrase: God begot the man, pause, [then] he breathed. The formal antecedent to "breathed" is the man, though we cannot exclude that it was God. ...

No, this is a rule that I am sure of, that in a chain of WAYYIQTOLs with no explicit subject on a following clause the assumed subject is the subject rather than the object of the preceding clause.

That is for sure. The point is, is there an unbroken chain of wayiqtols in 2:7, or rather two phrases: the man was formed or designated, and that dust blew in his face, suggesting him to go irrigate.

Vadim Cherny