b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 25:17

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 25:17
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 20:15:14 +0100

On Sat 24 Sep 2005 (12:00:46), markeddy AT adams.net wrote:
> Ah yes, there's the problem of taking figures of speech literally!
> Perhaps more idiomatic English would be "Troubles give me a bigger
> heart." One problem with translating from Hebrew to English is that
> Hebrew locates various emotions in body parts, far more than English
> does. So the Hebrew word for the body part of a sacrificial animal (for
> example) would be the same word used for human emotions. I think that
> the English concept of "having a big heart" might catch some of the
> Hebrew idiom. Though in English this tends to mean that the person is
> altruistic, while the Hebrew expression seems to me to include
> increased courage on the part of the writer. Wasn't there a "Richard
> the lion-hearted" somewhere in English history?

Idioms have to be rendered idiomatically from language to language.
"Big-hearted" in English means generous and loving in disposition, and
valorous in battle; not really altruistic. The heart is the seat of love in
English; in Hebrew it seems to be the centre of thought (Psalm 24:4; 51:12;
73:1). The emotions are located in the kidneys in Hebrew; but coupled with
the heart in Psalm 26:2 and Jeremiah 17:10. I take your point about emotions
being associated with various offals in Hebrew. I can't think of a Hebrew
word for "brains", but there must be one in modern Hebrew. The "mind" is
NePe$, RuWaC, PeH; but also LeB. We do talk of "hearts and minds" I suppose.

Richard I of England was nicknamed the Lion-heart ("coeur de lion") because
of his valour in combat; he was associated with some of the Crusades.

Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF ZFC Hf
<ben.crick AT NOSPAM.argonet.co.uk>