b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 25:17

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 25:17
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 12:32:59 -0500

Dear Peter,

The reason it's not reduced is that it bears the accent on the first syllable. ...

No, at least not in BHS, where the accent mark is firmly under the resh which is the secodn syllable. Anyway, this argument confuses cause and effect.

HH: I don't know about confusing cause and effect, but I see that you are right. The accent is with the second vowel on CRWT in Ps. 25:17. The rule I learned was: in the construct word unstressed qames or sere reduces to shewa.

... Accordance parses it as construct.

Don't expect me to believe this on the basis of an authority. Accordance (actually the WTS databse, I think) simply follows traditional interpretations in such cases where the actual form is ambiguous. But I accept James Price's argument that the accentuation suggests a construct form - at least, that that was probably the understanding of the Masoretes and of the pronunciation tradtion which they wrote down.

HH: Yes, I accepted Price's argument, too.

I note that LXX (24:17) has hAI QLIYEIS THS KARDIAS MOU EPLATUNQHSAN, "the troubles of my heart were widened", which also supports the construct interpretation. This agreement between LXX and the Masoretes suggests that this is the original meaning - or at least a very ancient understanding.

HH: I accept it as the original meaning. But the lack of reduction without an accent is a mystery to me. These are the cases of the construct: 1 Sam 10:19; Pss 25:17; 25:22; 31:8; 34:7; 34:18). I see a metheg signaling the preservation of the length of the first vowel of CRWT at 1 Sam 10:19, but it seems to be under the resh, so I don't know if that disqualifies it, yet I would think metheg could preserve the vowel length of the preceding vowel there. There is a metheg at Ps. 25:22 on the qames under tsade. At Ps 31:8 the accent does seem to be under the resh, as you pointed out for Ps 25:17. However, could a long vowel be required to complete the first syllable, which starts with shewa under beth? At Ps. 34:7 and 18 there is an accent above the first syllable as part of revia-mugrash.

1Sam. 10:19 But you have now rejected your God, who saves you out of all your calamities and distresses. And you have said, 'No, set a king over us.' So now present yourselves before the LORD by your tribes and clans."
Psa. 25:17 The troubles of my heart have multiplied; free me from my anguish.
Psa. 25:22 Redeem Israel, O God, from all their troubles!
Psa. 31:7 I will be glad and rejoice in your love, for you saw my affliction and knew the anguish of my soul.
Psa. 34:6 This poor man called, and the LORD heard him; he saved him out of all his troubles.
Psa. 34:17 The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard