b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 25:17

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Maurice A. O'Sullivan" <mauros AT iol.ie>
  • To: "Mark Eddy" <markeddy AT adams.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 25:17
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 19:10:08 +0100

Mark:
I do not propose following your reply point by point,

But I would like to draw your attention to the Foreword to the 2nd edition of Aron Dotan's Biblia Hebraica Leningradensia. Peabody, Mass: Hendrickson, 2001.

After you have read and digested this, I doubt if you will again refer to:
>> the universal Masoretic reading, <<

And when you write:
Mark's answer: The Masoretic text as published in BHS (and in BibleWorks).

You will also see Dotan's view of BHS 4.

After pointing out various errors in BHS 3, he writes of BHS 4:
>> it also has some serious mistakes. The number of printing errors may be less but the corruptions from mistaken readings of the manuscript are even more numerous than in its predecessor.<<

As for your longing >>for the day when BHS has a detailed apparatus <<
have you seen the first fascicle ( vol. 18 General Introduction and Megilloth.) in the Quinta. edition coming from the Stuttgart: Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, 2004. -- it's a start, anyway.

P.S
Thanks for pointing out my typo -- yes, of course, it should be " unshakeable faith "

Maurice A. O'Sullivan
Bray, Ireland