b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] tenses

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: VadimCherny AT mail.ru
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] tenses
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:26:41 -0400

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:22:19 +0300 "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
writes:
> Thank you, Rolf.
> That variety doesn't sound like conforming to the aspect hypothesis,
> does
> it? If anything, future tense dominates.
> Much of the present tense could be translated future in Russian and
> so,
> possibly be understood as future by Hebrews.
><SNIP>
>
> Vadim Cherny

Are you saying that if it can be translated as future in Russian then it
can be in Hebrew? Amazing ! What makes Russian the standard by which
Hebrew is to be read? Even if you can point to some instances in which
there is a convergence of usage in Hebrew and Russian, this is totally
nonsensical. Such statements are why I generally delete your posts
without reading -- yours and Karl Randolph's as well.

george
gfsomsel