b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Doctorates or not

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Doctorates or not
  • Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:02:11 -0400

On 9/5/05, Read, James C wrote:

My course was not divinity or a theology degree but the course content that contained such was much higher. I got perfect scores in my hebrew modules because the hebrew teacher,Dr Davilla, was very
critical of the bible text and he would objectively consider linguistic arguments.

Perhaps its difficult to take you seriously as a scholar when your spelling belies any attention to detail. Sure, everyone makes typos, but to consistently misspell simple words, and names of people with whom you purportedly studied- well, it doesn't paint a very scholarly picture. I'm not picking on you. I'm just pointing out that St Andrews has pretty high standards and, frankly, its almost impossible for me to believe what you are saying. The anonymity of the internet makes me extremely skeptical. So, when I see a name I don't recognize, I look on the SBL membership list to see if they are affiliated with the largest and most well known scoeity of biblical scholars. If said person is not listed I am, I confess, not inclined to take too seriously what they say in terms of biblical exegesis or translation.

That's not to say that non members of SBL have nothing to say. Indeed not! But again, with the anonymity granted many online and my naturally suspicious nature, that's how it works for me.

Jim

--
Jim West, ThD

Non ergo fidem confirmare potest ulla creatura -- Huldrych Zwingli