b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Doctorates or not

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Doctorates or not
  • Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 09:49:48 -0500

Bob:

You have hit an interesting point.

The person from whom I learned the most about
the Documentary Hypothesis wrote about it in a
PhD dissertation. That author spent about 80%
of the book on the documentary hypothesis, its
histoy, ideational foundation, all to show why
he could safely ignore it. He quoted from books
as early as 1807 showing an ideological bias
for evolution and against accepting the Bible
as an accurate history.

Now I, as a non-academic, simply ignore the DH,
if asked, simply point to the dissertation and
say that the DH has nothing to say. I also have
not had the opportunity to verify or falsify
the dissertation, relying on the fact that as a
dissertation, it had to pass "peer review" for
the author to get his PhD, which he did. That
author did all the heavy lifting for me.

On the internet, it looks as if there is a
middle ground. An ignoramus will quickly be
found. But in short messages, it is impossible
to present a dissertation's worth of data.

Interesting question, yours.

Karl W. Randolph.