b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Doctorates or not

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Doctorates or not
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 14:27:32 +0100

I enrolled to study the language.I am and was perfectly willing to listen to
linguistic arguments
that involve semantic studies, etymology, philology etc.

The problem was not so much that I was imposed to study things which were non
linguistic but
rather that I was expected to agree with them in order to pass the exams.
I know that that is not the way things *should* be but that is the way that
things *are*.

My course was not divinity or a theology degree but the course content that
contained such was much
higher. I got perfect scores in my hebrew modules because the hebrew
teacher,Dr Davilla, was very
critical of the bible text and he would objectively consider linguistic
arguments. So when I said
something like 'the primary meaning of she'ol is grave and there is not one
instance of the word she'ol
that demands the reader to understand anything more' he would take that as an
objective observation.

However, when I made similar linguistic observations in other less linguistic
modules I was treated
like a moron and downgraded for not sharing the mainstream christian theology.

I complained that I had enrolled for a linguistic degree and did not want to
partake in theologically
oriented modules but no such exceptions were made. Time for me was precious
and having a language
to learn I opted for self study rather than getting involved in such
fruitless debates.