b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 5 scrolls or 1
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:13:35 +0100

Nobody is trying to prove anything about authorship or date.

My original question was an attempt to understand why the LXX has these five
separations. Were
these introduced by the LXX translators? Did the LXX translators faithfully
translate five
seperations which already existed in Hebrew culture? Did the LXX translators
originally translate
the torah as one book and the seperations were introduced later?

It's just that I have often heard claimed as fact that the torah was always
on one scroll (or considered
as one book) and that the seperations are a direct result of the influence of
the LXX. Yet BHS has
seperations in exactly the same places. I was just wondering on what evidence
these bold statements
had been based and now it seems as though there is none. Jesus continual
reference to the 'law' seems
to indicate that in his day it was considered one work (whether it was
physically on one scroll is
irrelevant. I just want to establish how the torah was viewed (1 or 5
stories)).