b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen22:13 YHWHYiReH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen22:13 YHWHYiReH
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:29:50 +0200

Jewish tradition identifies the spot with Moriah, the Temple Mount in
Jerusalem. Samaritan tradition, of course, identifies it with Mount Gerizim.
In any case, the explanation - "for on the mount of YHWH he shall be seen",
in understood to refer to the future place of pilgrimage and sacrifice.

The identification of Melchizedek's Shalem (Salem) with Jerusalem makes
sense from the context. And from the fact the the king of Jerusalem in
Joshua 10 is Adonizedek, and the Jerusalemite priest in the days of David
Zadok. "ZDQ" may have been a deity worshipped at Jerusalem until David's
time, or at least a dynastic name.

Jerusalem, Yerushalayim, Urisalimum, was called that way earlier, as the
name appears in the 19th century BCE Execration Texts and in the 14th
century El-Amarna letters.

Yigal