b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation - RCC view, NJB, Vulgate

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Schmuel <schmuel AT nyc.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation - RCC view, NJB, Vulgate
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 09:12:02 -0400

Hi b-hebrew,

Subject was: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

>David P Donnelly wrote:
>> I don't know if it is the official teaching of the Church, but the New
>> Jerusalem Bible,
>> which appears to translate YHWH as "Yahweh" 100% of the time, does have
>> the "Nihil obstat" seal > .of approval.

Pawel Sajdek
>The "Nihil obstat" and "Imprimatur" seals do not mean that something is the
>official teaching of the Church, but that it is not against it, i.e.
>acceptable. So both Yahweh and e.g. Yehowah or even Yabe could get the seal
>from this point of view.

Thank you Pawel.
David had raised an interesting question, but had overstated the RCC position
some :-)

I'm aware of this type of controversy especially because of the fact that
apparently the book
by Samuele Bacchioche "From Sabbath to Sunday" received an imprimatur. And
this
has led to lots of responses, from positive support to puzzlement to
befuddlement to accusation.

An issue even comes up about the symbol on the NKJV,
but I don't think that one was from the RCC :-)

Back to the question at hand....

Do we have anyone who knows how other RCC texts and pronouncements bear on
this ?
Such as the Vulgate and its translation, other English Bibles that have RCC
imprimatur,
and any other pronouncements.

The Vulgate at least would be interesting.

Similar with the Orthodox Churches, and their understanding and Greek OT text,
or the Aramaic Peshitta Text of some eastern Orthodox.

btw, my thanks to the forumites, and the moderators, for a most excellent
thread.
Probably not everybody follows every issue, (well I know I don't) and there
are major
and minor issues and sidetracks, but I don't believe such an invigorating and
fascinating
conversation on the Tetragrammaton history and pronunciation would be held
anywhere else but here :-)

My thanks for good tone, and free-wheeling moderators. Even when a couple of
related
issues have gotten a bit testy, (understandably), it has been handled very
well.

Shalom,
Steven Avery
Queens, NY