b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Awohili AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH pronunciation
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:55:52 EDT

In all honesty, I have not seen anything definitive that 'puts a firm end'
to any of the various theories about the the pronunciation of the Name. It
seems to me that everything is still very much on the table, and despite all
that has been posted here -- much of it very interesting and even instructive
--
the last word has yet to be said.

Maybe one day it can be said, 'THIS IS IT!," but I don't think that day has
yet come.

Nothing wrong with continuing to work on it, though.

Solomon Landers

In a message dated 08/10/2005 10:03:33 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
peterkirk AT qaya.org writes:

On 10/08/2005 13:02, Read, James C wrote:

>Thank you very much for this post. I think this puts a firm end to the
Yahwah theory.
>It is perfectly clear that the first two syllables are Yeho/Yahu. The only
question
>that remains is the vowel in the final syllable.
>If yhwh is a 3m.s. YiQToL then both Qal and Hiphil take segol as the final
vowel.

>A final 'a'vowel would support the 'He was ,he is, he will be' theory
presented in the
>article provided earlier from the catholic encyclopedia.

I have just noticed a new piece of data concerning the pronunciation of
YHWH. I have realised that the word YHWH appears to have a construct
state, in the compound form YHWH C:BA'OT "Lord of hosts". But this
compound form is consonantally identical to the absolute state (and also
vocalised the same). If YHWH was simply the spelling of a noun form
ending in -AH (with qamets), like Y:HOWAH, the construct state would end
in -AT (with patah) and so be consonantally YHWT. But this form is never
found. This is perhaps an argument against the form Y:HOWAH. However,
nouns ending in -EH (with segol) derived from lamed-he verbs are
consonantally unchanged in the construct (but the segol changes to
tsere). See GKC 89e,f. This suggests that a form like YAHWEH is more likely.