b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] tenses; frequency

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] tenses; frequency
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 22:09:58 +0300

Possibly, a significant argument in favor of tenses is that the exceptions
are asymmetrical. There are few cases of past tense employed for the future
reference, while much more - of the future tense employed for the past
reference. I don't have the statistics, but, Rolf, correct me if necessary.

If there were no tenses, but only aspects, we would expect about the same
number of exceptions on each side: qatal/wayiqtol for the future, and
weqatal/yiqtol for the past.

If the exceptions are indeed asymmetrical in the way I described, then it is
due to the emphatic shift of the reference point back in the time - people
re-live past, not future events. Forward shift of the reference point (yiqtol
for the past) would mostly occur in visions, and so be very rare.

Vadim Cherny