b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] tenses; frequency

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] tenses; frequency
  • Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 22:46:22 +0100

On 09/08/2005 21:41, Rolf Furuli wrote:

... And a very important methodological question is this: Is an assumption
behind my research that Hebrew has a particular number of conjugations, four,
three, or two? For example, If we use the axiom that Hebrew has four
conjugations, then we end up with four. In addition to looking for prejudice
in the material, we need to be conscious of our own prejudices. ...

Indeed, Rolf. And this is a question which you have never answered unambiguously concerning your own research. Do you assume any particular number of conjugations? Did you begin by assuming or preferring any particular number of them? If so, even if you formally abandoned such a presupposition, did you retain any prejudice which might have caused you to prefer an analysis which in fact corresponds with a previous preference?

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)