b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is.45:7 God created evil?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is.45:7 God created evil?
  • Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 11:20:50 +0100

Yes, I can see where you are coming from.
First Yah asks Satan 'Where have you been?' (as if he didn't know) and then
gets around to asking him Satan if he has set his heart on his servant Job (
again, as if he didn't already know).
This is the same style of questioning as we see in the garden of Eden. Yah
already knows but questions as if he didn't 'Where are you?'. This repeated
style is good grounds for supporting the same authorship of both scrolls and
their antiquity.
Satan is depicted as a serpent in the garden of eden and no reference is given
to him by name because the story is told from man's point of view. This is
important because, if man knew the message to be originating with an angel
then
he would have been justified in eating the fruit as angels were Yah's
representatives.
Similarly Satan is described as a person in heaven but on earth the
temptation
to curse Yah comes from the mouth of his wife. Again we see another parallel
with the Genesis account. Man is being tempted to reverse the chain of
command
and to obey his wife (his subordinate) rather than Yah (his superior). But
this
time man is obedient to Yah and Yah succeeds in showing that man is capable
of
keeping his integrity and resisting the temptations of Satan.
Ezekiel is prophetic language talking about Satan, but admittedly this is
only
something that Yah's spirit can reveal to a man as there is no specific
reference
to Satan by name, and thus this proof goes out of the realms of linguistic
analysis.

However, one thing is evident, the Christians firmly believed the serpent to
be Satan
as Rev12:9 calls him 'the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan'.