b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is.45:7 God created evil?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Shoshanna Walker" <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is.45:7 God created evil?
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 22:20:01 +0100

Yes Shoshanna. I agree with you here. There are many angels with
different names and Satan's chief purpose is in tempting mankind.
But the account of Job is not that Yah calls Satan and asks him
to go and test Job.
On the contrary, it is Satan who demands that Job be tested and
challenges Yah by slanderously saying that Job only serves Yah
because of the blessings that Yah has given him.
Yah allows this to happen in order for the opportunity to be
given that this is not the case but in no way requests of Satan
that it be done.

How do you interpret the phrase 'the god's children' in Gen6:2?
LXX renders this as 'aggeloi'/messengers and it is interesting to
note that such was the understanding way before Christian influences.