b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Names of the Tanakh (was Re: Inspiration)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Heard, Christopher" <Christopher.Heard AT pepperdine.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Names of the Tanakh (was Re: Inspiration)
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:01:08 -0700

Yitzhak et alii,

Personally, as a Christian myself, I prefer the term "Tanakh" or "Hebrew Bible," partially because it honors the prior and independent status of these books as Jewish scripture, but also because it clearly delineates which books I mean. Supercessionist connotations aside, "Old Testament" is a slippery term, because different Christian groups have different lists of "Old Testament" books: the Protestant Old Testament is not the same as the Roman Catholic Old Testament is not the same as the Eastern Orthodox Old Testament is not the same as the Ethiopian Orthodox Old Testament ... Thus I find "Tanakh" preferable for reasons of precision, quite apart from any religious or ideological considerations.

Best wishes to all.

Chris