b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] VERBS

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] VERBS
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 07:39:24 +0100

Dear Joel,

I agree with some of Peter`s application of the Relevance theory: language
is rather fluid, and the great part of it is changeable. Words can be used
in a figurative, idiomatic, and hypothetical way, and expressions can be
used in a substandard way as well. Your example below with the deaf woman
shows that "sing" can be used without words and melody, but this is an illustrative use. A situation (the deaf woman`s behavior) is compared with a situation where words and melody come out of someone`s mouth. Nevertheless, I would still say the acts of the deaf woman are durative and dymanic (her actions occur over time and change), the characteristics we are speaking about.

I would like to stress that I do not view the durativity, dynamicity, and
telicity of all verbs to which one of these characteristics can be applied
as uncancellable. To the contrary, a verb lacking telicity can get this
characteristic when an adverbial is added (e.g. "she ran to the well" in
contrast with "while she ran...."). My point, however, is that some verbs are
marked for durativity, dynamicity, or telicity, or a combination of these characteristics, and in
these cases the characteristic is uncancellable.

In connection with the cancelability/noncancelability of characteristics we can perhaps speak of three groups of verbs:

1) Verbs where the particular characteristic easily is blotted out or changed by the context, and it is clearly seen that the characteristic is pragmatic.
2) Verbs where the characteristic is not blotted out or changed by the context, except in special cases, such as idiomatic use, illustrative use, slang, idiosyncratic or substandard use.
3) Verbs where the characteristic cannot be blotted out by the context.

I do not have a list of all the verbs that have semantic characteristics. My task, therefore, is to
demonstrate the existence of verbs belonging to group 3. So let us look at some Hebrew examples.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel AT exc.com>