b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] VERBS

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] VERBS
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:13:48 +0100

On 26/07/2005 14:50, Read, James C wrote:

To be fair Peter, while your reasoning does make sense in other respects
of what you have said, Rolf has made it quite clear that his studies parted
with no preconceived ideas or assumptions and reached his conclusions
through purely linguistic (although, heavily grammatical) methods. I tend
to believe him and this is obviously a subject that he has put much thought
into and worked on for a very long time.

Well, I am not quite sure when Rolf considers that he started these studies. It certainly was a long time ago. But already on 4th September 1998, the first individual post I have from him (I was receiving digests from July 1997 which are not so easy to search), he wrote to this list:

I claim that
imperfectivity and perfectivity are connected with the verb form and not
with the context: all wayyiqtols and yiqtols are imperfective and all
qatals and weqatals are perfective.

But this was certainly before he completed his study of all of the verb forms in the Bible. Therefore he came to that study, or at least completed and drew conclusions from it, with this preconceived idea of the Hebrew verb system, which is effectively the same as the two form model which he now presents as the result of his studies.

I am copying this to the list on the assumption that, because you addressed Rolf elsewhere in the message, you intended your message to go to the list.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)