b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH discussion recap

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: "Gene Gardner" <g_gardner1234 AT yahoo.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH discussion recap
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:16:02 -0500

I've not been following this; watching people deny that Yahweh was the
Syrian god Yah/ Ea is too frustrating. I've grown tired of stating things
that are crystal clear to me and have noone believe a word. We've been
discussing this for a long time on the ancientbiblestudies list.

But from the headers this discussion has gotten good.

It could even contain new information!

For instance, where specifically does the name Yah occur in the psalms?
This would be fascinating.

The first occurrence of "Yahweh" specifically is in lists of conquered Shasu
towns in the southern desert during the 18th dynasty. But the Egyptian
phonograms could translate as closer to Yahooweh or something of the sort.

The name of the northern god is thought to have evolved as far as Yahoo or
Yahoowey.

We've speculated endlessly on the ancientbiblestudies list about the name
Yahu/ Jehu, which appears in many forms in Israelite history. Enough
people were named -el and -baal, and I've read that peoples' names tended to
contain the name Yahweh as well - depending on the gods' states of favor
over time as they competed for hegemony.

Trouble is the phonogram for w was the same as that for oo, and often they
included the v sound as well. I guess from the time of the Egyptian
MIddle Kingdom through classical Latin, no matter what language people wrote
in. I don't know about Greek.

The Shasu (Bedouin) ranged through the central high country and transjordan
between Syria and the Negev. During the disordered times of the 18th and
19th dynasties, when Egypt and drought jointly had pretty much depopulated
the hill country, the Shasu and the Hapiru escapees from Canaan effectively
merged.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas