b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH discussion recap

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH discussion recap
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:52:50 -0400

I haven't been following the discussion, so I
appreciate the re-cap! We should do this for every
conversation.
I'd like to add the data from Elephantine. (I
assume it wasn't brought up.) There the god's name
is spelled yhw, which I think is Ya-hu or Ya-ho,
or Ye-hu or Ye-ho, or all of the above, depending
on stress etc.
This suggests that the h at the end of YHWH only
means that the final vowel w should be elongated
and is Ya-hu-uh, or Ya-ho-oh, and is not Yah-weh.

If the Greeks wanted to write Yahu, how would they
have written it?

Liz Fried

[mailto:b-
> hebrew-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of
Gene
> Gardner
> Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2005 12:10 PM
> To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: [b-hebrew] YHWH discussion recap
>
> I would like to recap some of the points that
have
> been made during this discussion. If any of my
> perceptions are in error, I welcome your
correction.

> 1)If we read the tetragrammaton as written with
the
> vowel points found in the Masoretic texts
(Aleppo,
> Leningrad), some of the variables would be:
>
> YeHWaH, YeHWiH, YeHoWiH, YeHoWaH
>
> 2)Yah is a valid name represented throughout the
> Psalms, but not necessarily related to the
> pronunciation "YaHWeH".
>
> 3)The cantillation marks in Psalm 96:10 does
> represent
> a tri-sylabic cantoring of YHWH, or possibly
Adonay.
> This would need to be verified in the Massorah.
>
> 4)There is no vowel pointing found in the
Masoretic
> texts that would allow YHWH to be pronounced as
> "YaHWeH."
>
> 5)That the pronunciation "YaHWeH", is a
scholarly
> re-construction based on early Greek writings.
>
> 6)That the nineteen or so tri-sylabic names
found in
> the Hebrew Scriptures that have the theophoric
> element
> "Yeho", which are pointed the same as YHWH as
> found in
> the Masoretic texts, may or may not have any
relation