b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] IaBe = YHWH or IaBe = Jove?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "David P Donnelly" <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] IaBe = YHWH or IaBe = Jove?
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 13:38:44 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "David P Donnelly" <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2005 5:40 AM
Subject: [b-hebrew] IaBe = YHWH or IaBe = Jove?

Does "IaBe" = "YHWH" or does "IaBe" = "Jove"?
Josephus Book 12, Chapter 5 quotes the Samaritans as saying [under
duress]:

We therefore beseech thee, our benefactor and saviour,
to give order to Apolonius, the governor of this part of the country,
and to Nicanor, the procurator of thy affairs,
to give us no disturbances,
nor to lay to our charge what the Jews are accused for,
since we are aliens from their nation and from their customs,
but let our temple which at present hath no name at all,
be named the Temple of Jupiter Hellenius.

The God of Jupiter is said to be named "Jove".
"Jove" is thought to be pronounced similar to "IaBe"
Some sources recommend pronouncing the "o" in "Jove" as "ah",
but instead try pronouncing the "o" in "Jove", like the "o" in "Joshua"
e.g. J(awe)v(eh)

To be redundant:
Does "IaBe" = "YHWH" or does "IaBe" = "Jove"?
Dave Donnelly

There is no etymological relationship between the Latin "Jove" (from iovis pater...pronounced yawis) and the much older SemiticYHWH..

Jack Kilmon