b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "Medina, Vincent" <VMedina AT cbcag.edu>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:58:52 +0300

Besides suspicious preservation of final hey in the future tense, the
Tetragrammaton-as-a-verb hypothesis has fundamental flaw:

who in his right mind would call vocalization of a well-established verb
secret?

Making the vowels secret--a great secret, indeed--made sense only if the
vowelization was not evident to any Hebrew-speaker. And that rules out any
standard morphological form, including verbs.

Why would anyone use hwh root in the Hebrew scriptures instead of hyh?

Also consider mappiq in final hey. It doesn't suggest a verb. Rather,
perhaps, mappiq distinguishes final hey as the only consonant in the word.

Of course, the Tetragrammaton came into existence well before matres
lectionis, but it seems possible to me that the Tetragrammaton is the
earliest instance of matres lectionis, and only much later everyone started
using them.

Vadim Cherny

> Yaho, Yahu and Yah all appear to be variant forms of the name. The one
thing that they have in common, and appear to establish firmly, is that
the first syllable of the name is Yah. If yhwh is a verbal form, the
final he would appear to support a final syllable with seghol, "weh,"
whether the verb stem was either qal or hiphil. A verbal yqtl form would
almost certainly have two syllables. In my opinion, all this seems to
support the widely accepted pronunciation Yahweh.

G. Vincent Medina
Associate Professor
Central Bible College
Phone: 417 887-6559