b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "John W. Leys." <eliyahu5733 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:27:04 -0400

Read, James C wrote:

While it can justifiably be argued that the pronunciation of the name has been lost through various superstitions and pharisee style over-burdening the same cannot be said for the multitude of YaHo's and YaHu's we see appended and prepended to many names as early as Ex17:9's YeHo$ua.
This brings up something I've been curious about for some time. Several of these names have variant spellings/pronunciations. The example the leaps to mind is that of אליהו ('eliyahu), which is also written (as in Malachi 3.23) אליה (eliyah). Does this reflect a difference in pronunciation in different regions (Northern Kingdom v Southern) or different time periods? And could it reflect a difference in pronunciation of YHWH, or is it assumed to be restricted to the derived names?

--
Shalom
John W. Leys

http://eliyahu5733.blogspot.com/

"Wonder rather than doubt is the root of all knowledge"
- Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel