b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew in messages

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew in messages
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:05:03 -0500

Peter:

Thanks for the reference. I haven’t finished reading it yet. From what I read
in the first pages, it appears that MIME standard is limited to US-ASCII
only, no Hebrew possible.

I want to comment on the ibiblio archiving software: if a message is sent
throughout the system, should it not be stored in the archives unchanged? If
it changes the messaages, is it not a bug? Or is it in Redmondese “a feature”
that the messages are not stored unchanged? Even messages sent from your mail
program are changed by the ibiblio archiving program, is that what you
wanted? Is that what you expected and planned for? Do you see why I call it a
bug?

In particular, I noticed that character entities are not stored as character
entities, they have been changed to and stored as html text strings. And
Hebrew letters that you *think* are being sent as windows-1255 characters,
are being changed to and stored as character entities. These are the changes
I have been able to document from messages sent from your mail program, not
the one I use. I think that is a bug. What other ways is the software
changing messages?

What I expect now is that if I go back in the archives to one of your
messages with some Hebrew in it, and quote it, that the Hebrew will come out
as unintelligeable html text strings. Is that not a bug?

Karl W. Randolph.