b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew in messages

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew in messages
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 01:22:03 +0100

On 08/07/2005 21:21, Karl Randolph wrote:

Peter:

I just noticed something. While checking up some other settings on my browser, I noticed that I had set the language encoding to “Hebrew (windows)”. When I set the language encoding to UTF-8, Hebrew written in Windows-1255 encoding is displayed
????

instead of
&#1488;&#1489;&#1490;&#1491;

No Hebrew letters in this message. The first line is question marks, the second codes starting with "&".

But then this is what I would expect, because the encoding of your message in Western (Windows-1252). You can send Hebrew characters in plain text e-mail only if the character encoding supports Hebrew, i.e. is one of the specific Hebrew encodings like Windows-1255 or else UTF-8.

Now does the second line still show
&amp;#1488;&amp;#1489;&amp;#1490;&amp;#1491; or does it show Hebrew letters?

Hebrew encoded as character entities Camino rendered as Hebrew letters, both
when encoded as Hebrew (windows) and as UTF-8.

An example of character entities follows:

&#1488;&#1489;&#1490;&#1491;

How does that render in your browser or mail program?

I still see explicit character entities, i.e. codes starting with "&", in my mail program which is displaying a plain text e-mail.

What I noticed is that when you encoded Hebrew as character entities,
somewhere between your screen and the B-Hebrew archives, the coding was
changed from character entities to string encoding. I don’t know where the
change came from, but it is clearly recognizable when looking at the page
source. What you wrote as Windows-1255 encoding is stored on the B-Hebrew
archives as character entities. What are your settings?

I never sent character entities, except when I was quoting what you sent to me; I sent Hebrew characters in Windows-1255 and/or UTF-8. It is possible that the archiving program has internally converted them to character entities (which you would see when looking at the page source) when it incorporated the plain text e-mail into an HTML page. But in that case your browser should display Hebrew characters. But I don't think the archiving program has done anything wrong.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)