b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] RE-Dating Daniel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "George F Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>, VMedina AT cbcag.edu
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] RE-Dating Daniel
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 18:14:56 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "George F Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>

> Your view makes one deny facts and jump through all kinds of hoops in
> order to maintain your position.

Those are exactly the reasons I do not accept your position.

> Because the ruins of cities do not
> support your position you are forced to continually maintain that we
> cannot have found the cities referenced in the Bible and many similar
> situations.

I find charges are made up that cannot be supported by the text. For example,
the claim is that Abraham’s visits to Beersheba could not have occured as
there was no town on the site at that time. But when one looks at the text,
all that is described is a well, dug and maintained by itinerate shepherds,
surrounded by pastures. Absent is any discussion of a town. The same is true
of Bethlehem at the time of Jacob. And so forth. Named pastures where later
towns were built. And many similar situations.

> I thought we were supposed to be discussing the Hebrew
> language as it is represented in the TANAK,

Exactly!

> but it seems that this has
> become a forum for systematic theology -- and only fundamentalists need
> respond.

That is an unfair charge. Given your background, I think you are being overly
sensitive.

> george
> gfsomsel

George, there are plenty of people on this list who share your position, but
they haven’t joined this discussion. Further, I agree with some of the others
that you have made some unnecessarily inflamatory statements. I also think
you are verging on proselytism to your Weltanschauung.

Let’s get back to a discussion of Hebrew, OK?

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm