b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew in messages

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew in messages
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 17:02:29 -0500

Peter:

This is weird. I just checked the source code in the B-Hebrew archives for my
original message that started this thread, and found that somewhere the
coding was changed. I wrote in Hebrew, when it went through your mail program
and back to me it was still correctly coded, as I still saw Hebrew. However,
in the b-hebrew archive, it is coded as follows:

YXD &amp;#1497;&amp;#1495;&amp;#1491;

(if it doesn’t show up correctly, the string is an ampersand followed by amp
with a semicolon, then a hash with four numbers and semicolon, three times
all as one string. Or to break it out,
& amp ; # 1497 ; & amp ; # 1495 ; & amp ; # 1491 ; )

The addition of amp; after each & breaks it out from being a coding for a
letter to a text string. Does anyone have any idea where it came from? How
can we prevent it in the future? When you replied to me directly, it was not
there so the letters appeared correctly and when you sent me your example
they were coded correctly.

Also, in the B-Hebrew archives, in the source document, in your response
testing my browser, your Windows-1255 encoding shows four instances of
ampersand, hash, four numbers and a semicolon. But the character entities in
your letter came to ampersand, "amp", semicolon, hash, four numbers and
semicolon, just like in my original letter. That extra amp and semicolon did
not come up when you mailed me directly, but shows up in the B-Hebrew
archives.

Weird. Any geek out there who has any idea how this was changed?

Karl W. Randolph.