b-hebrew - Re: Unicode cont. was Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 7:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Unicode cont. was Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 7:2
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 17:42:35 -0500

Trevor:

I admit that I don’t know everything that’s going on with SBL fonts and
unicode, but these are the patterns that I notice:

1) When George emailed me directly with the SBL font, what I read was Hebrew
with some points misplaced, but it was easy to recognize where those points
belong so there was no problem reading the message. But when he CCed the
message through B-Hebrew, all the Hebrew changed to question marks. In other
words, there is something going on that is different between a direct message
and one going through B-Hebrew.

2) When I access a site encoded using the SBL font, points are misplaced. If
I try using the SBL font, all the points are misplaced, making it somewhat
difficult to read.

3) If I access a site encoded in unicode, but not the SBL font, at least one
of my browsers (Safari) renders all points correctly (as far as I have
checked), even cantilation points.

4) If I download a .pdf or other file encoded in unicode, the points render
correctly. None of those that I have downloaded used SBL fonts.

>From the above pattern, there is something going on that whereever the SBL
>fonts are used to write and/or read a file, it does not render correctly.
>Where the SBL fonts are not present, I have few (Camino browser) to no
>problems with rendering Hebrew. Now I may be missing something, but it
>certainly looks as if the SBL fonts are the problem. Do you see how I came
>to this conclusion?

Karl W. Randolph.