b-hebrew - Re: Unicode cont. was Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 7:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Unicode cont. was Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 7:2
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 12:18:08 -0500

To All:

It looks as if I have to eat humble pie. It may not be the SBL font after
all, but Mr. Kimball’s XML coding.

First of all, for you Macintosh owners, there is an update for OS X.4 to
X.4.1. Free download.

The following are what I found while using the Safari browser:

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/c/ct/c0.htm has all sorts of lines, dots and
squiggles that I don’t recognize. Presumably those are the cantillation marks.

http://verboomen.starline-inc.de/d11.php2xml?sfr=1&prq=1 is an XML site which
also demands the SBL font, yet it displays normally on Safari, including all
the points. Safari interprets at least some XML code correctly. Its unicode
support is superior to Camino. Though the site demands the SBL font, it
rendered well in Safari with Macintosh Hebrew fonts.

http://kodesh.snunit.k12.il/i/t/t0.htm now demands a plug-in, which it says
that Safari lacks, but it still displays the vowel points.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/tan/index.htm has about the simplest html
coding of all the sites, displays the text with all points.

Now to the trouble sites:

http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/ipb-e/tanach/readme.html demanded a
special font to be downloaded, but when I did so, the font resource built
into Mac OS claimed the font is faulty, therefore refused to install it. I
was unable to read this site. The faulty font is a Mosaic font.

http://www.cvkimball.com/Tanach/Tanach.xml where the Safari browser
interprets the XML as redefining the font information, with the result that
the text is unreadable in Safari. (I don’t know XML, but the section from
which I exerpted a short snippet, I interpreted as remapping font
information.) Seeing as Safari interpreted both the SBL font information and
the XML coding correctly above, I suspect that it is the XML that is causing
the problem here.

Hopefully, this will put this discussion to bed. And Peter, please forgive my
impugning the SBL font while working from incomplete information.

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm