b-hebrew - Re: Unicode cont. was Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 7:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>, "Jim West" <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Unicode cont. was Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 7:2
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 11:26:42 -0500

It looks as if the fault lies with the SBL font.

1) Apparently the SBL font is only partially unicode complient in the first
place, which means that its use should be discouraged for scholarly
discourse. I have yet to see a SBL encoded site that has the points in the
right places, while unicode encoded sites render well.

2) the pattern of question marks in George’s messages indicate that his mail
server can send and receive unicode within plain text messages, but those
messages that go through the B-Hebrew server have the non-unicode complient
SBL font stripped out. Unicode complient inserts are passed through the
B-Hebrew mail forwarder.

Peter mentioned in an earlier message that the SBL font is a Windows™ font.
That could be the problem.

Karl W. Randolph.