b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Eden's Four Rivers (article)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Eden's Four Rivers (article)
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 12:54:32 -0500

Peter:

We have reached an impass where, quite frankly, unless there is significant
new information that either of us can present, this discussion will go on
without
resolution. Therefore, shall we just call it quits for the moment?

I believe that Abraham was literate, and that he and his sons authored
documents that either served as source documents, or were actually
incorporated largely
unchanged, when Moses compiled Genesis. As such, nothing that is included in
this narrative is an anachronism. There is evidence from literary styles
included in
Genesis that Moses had older documents before him.

I totally reject the documentary hypothesis as it stands. After rejecting its
philosophical foundation, it is only logical to reject the theoretical
superstructure built
on that foundation.

I also would not be surprised if many of the dates claimed for Ur in Sumer
are off by as much as a millennium, so that the local flood that Walter
Mattfeld
mentions really happened in 1900 BC, not 2900 as is presently dated. If this
were the case, then many of the social conditions presently claimed for
Abraham’s
time may actually have occurred much later. But without a detailed study,
which I have neither the time nor the documentary resources to carry out, I
am not able
to demonstrate my suspicions in a rigorous manner.

Items which I think significant, you discount, as can be seen by those edited
items listed below. That shows that there is not a meeting of the minds. So
let’s just
agree to disagree, and go on to the next subject.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.